Shadow Owner's Club
- SHOC -
-= SHOC FAQ =-
(SHOC? Whats this? What happened to our
beloved SOC? - Well, I was contacted recently by SOC
(Suzuki Owner's Club) who are holding their 25th
anniversary and although they amicably suggested that 2
motorcycle clubs with the same name could exist side by side,
just like two people with the same name, the "Shadow Owner's
Club" needs to be as unique as possible... Which is why,
when SHOC was suggested, recently, and it
clicked much better than the sock references we have been getting
Also, Honda already have their own HOC (Honda Owner's Club)
and us, hogging SOC, being -Honda- riders would be a bit greedy,
don't you think? I've searched the net, as usual, and have not
found any other motorcycle clubs out there called "SHOC"...
So, ShOC it is. "Are you in Shoc?" - hehe... Yes, it
lends itself well to recruiting... and now begin the ineviatable
Note: For NET purposes, this page will now be called
"SHOC.HTML", although the old SOC page will be
about, since search engines are slow to change.
(...and the contestants are...)
Lo Sheng The Great
Walter D. Brentano Robb Blanchette
Bullhead City Bob
Darcy Marche (Darkside)
Patch day draws ever closer!
Each of these has a slight change in them...
Please let me know which one appeals MOST to you. I want
everyone's opinion, that means YOURS too... so let me know
NOW by eMail which of the four you prefer #1, #2, #3, #4,
#5 (Great to hear from all of you.Thanks)
- SHOC NEWS -
Bad News! (29.May.98)
The local patch maker, who is in contact
with UK has said they can't make the patch. Thats the final word
on that matter. Again, please, if you know a patch maker, please
ask them to give you a quote on the design. Very possibly we are
talking about 200 (to start with) of BOTH #0 and #1!
While the pressure is up to try and find a local patch
maker... The plan is: (03.98)
- Find an patchmaker to make "prototypes"
- Send "prototypes" to Reps...
- Reps. then propose the prototypes to patchmakers
local to them.
- Less expensive patches are mass produced there.
- :-) The reps then contact me and tell me where the
lest expensive one is...
26 th Dec97: More of these "reliable"
sources have confirmed that the curving of the "Shadow"
logo in patches #0 and #1 will ensure that there is enough
difference between the original and the changed version to
prevent serious legal action. Further (perhaps more
authortitative) sources state/confirm that no motorcycle
manufacturer (except Harley Davidson) have ever sued a motorcycle
club for use of their logo (free advertising and all that).
17 th Dec 97: Reliable information from
people who have had to deal with Honda on legalities state that
any use of Honda owned logos or ideas or designs or etc. will/can
lead to legal problems vs. Honda, and so should be abandoned,
before the legal stuff starts. This means #0 and #1 are out of
the picture... Sorry... Also, the bike must not look too
much like a Honda, as that will infringe too... So, until I hear
from Honda authorising the use of the Logo and picture and
anything else needed to make the patch proper, its on "hold".
HOWEVER... since the patch is to be sewed, the end picture of
motorcycle/logo, etc. will not look much like the original...
except from a distance... But you know what they say... "from
a distance, you look like my friend, even though we are at war..."
SHOC WORLD CONTACTS
- SHOC - Argentina, Santa Fe, Mariano De Dios (Motomorfosis),
- SHOC - Australia, Sydney, Richard Andrews, eMail (Will
not have eMail long, so phone: 0419 489 299.)
- SHOC - Canada, Bon Accord, Alberta, John Spooner email
- SHOC - Canada, British Columbia, BC Port Alberni, Al E.
- SHOC - Canada, British Columbia, Victoria, Brad Good, eMail
- SHOC - Canada, Nova Scotia, Halifax, Larry Rafuse eMail
- SHOC - Canada, Ontario, Burlington, Don Andrew eMail
- SHOC - Canada, Ontario, Toronto, Carmen, eMail -
- SHOC - Canada, Saskatchewan, Jim Aho, email
- SHOC - Germany: Steinfurt, Klaus Mehlich, eMail
- SHOC - Holland: Hans eMail
<== (Now rides a Suzuki 1500 LC,
loved his Shadow, though!)
- SHOC - Iceland, Reykjavik: Thor Ingason, eMail - Page<== (Now rides a Suzuki 1500 LC! Ditto!)
- SHOC - Italy: Vax69, eMail
- SHOC - Indonesia: (Bandung), Hendra G Pasaribu, eMail<==Newest
- SHOC - Ireland: Ian Lush eMail
- SHOC - Japan, Iwakuni, Thomas E. Kopp (The Duck), eMail - QUACK! -
- SHOC - Japan, Misawa, Terry Ray Emory eMail
- SHOC - Malaysia: Muhammad Razin eMail
- SHOC - Mauritius: soon (Ki maiere? To bien, la?)
- SHOC - Netherlands: Carlos Bermudez eMail
- SHOC - Singapore - eMail
- SHOC - South Africa: Murrey du Toit (The Rat) - eMail (Amazing SOC Story!) <==SOC really works!
- SHOC - Sweden: Johan Fristedt eMail - Page
<== New eMail address
- SHOC - Thailand: Serge F. Bousquet eMail
- SHOC - UK: ShadBro eMail
(Also any UK based Shadow activities, contact)
- SHOC - USA, Arizona, Bullhead City Bob, eMail
- SHOC - USA, Arizona, Phoenix, Jeremy Williams eMail or Pat Gill eMail
- SHOC - USA, California, Fresno, Steve Merrill eMail
- SHOC - USA, California, Lakewood, Mark Hudkins eMail - Page
for rides!!! (Please)
- SHOC - USA, California, Los Angeles - eMail
- SHOC - USA, Florida, South Florida, Marty & Diane
Lurie - eMail
<==Contact for rides NOW! (Please)
- SHOC - USA, Georgia, Gainesville, Ted and Tina Wilbanks eMail
- SHOC - USA, Illinois, Michael D. Berk, eMail
- SHOC - USA, Kansas, Kansas City, western Missouri and
eastern Kansas, Brian Tunks, eMail
- SHOC - USA, Dracut, Massachusetts, Marty Sullivan , eMail
- SHOC - USA, USA, Massachusetts, Dan Nash , eMail
- SHOC - USA, Maryland, Baltimore, Richard McCormick, eMail
- SHOC - USA, Michigan, John eMail
- SHOC - USA, New York, Brooklyn, Roberto Torres, eMail or eMail
- SHOC - USA, New Jersey, Owen Berry, eMail
- SHOC - USA, North Carolina, Kannapolis, Steve Jordan eMail - Page
- SHOC - USA, Ohio, Columbus,HoneyB & Bonzaibudy, eMail <==Contact
for rides NOW!!!(6/98)
- SHOC - USA, Oklahoma, Salina, Tony Conway eMail
- SHOC - USA, Pennsylvania, Allentown, Brian Phillips - eMail
- SHOC - USA, Tennessee, Atoka, Rick Perry, eMail
- SHOC - USA, Tennessee, Clinton, Terry Crawford &
Linda - eMail
- SHOC - USA, Texas, Austin, (Soon)
- SHOC - USA, Texas, Midland, John Bumpers - eMail<==Contact
for rides, NOW! (Please)
- SHOC - USA, Texas, Plano, Jim "Kickstand"
Russell eMail - Page
<==Shadow Riders Club Page (SRC)
- SHOC - USA, Utah, Salt Lake Valley, Jeff Watkins eMail
- SHOC - USA, Virginia, Ashburn, Robert Orsino, eMail - Page
- SHOC - USA, Viginia, West Virginia, Dave "KickStart",
- SHOC - USA, Washington, Vancouver, Jerry "Bubba"
Smith eMail - Page
- People ask: "How do I become a SHOC
Rep? (Representative of the Shadow Owner's Club).
- Simple: Drop me a line by eMail, stating you'd like to be a rep,
and you will be here next weekend. Please include your Country,
State, City, your preferred eMail
address for SHOC correspondence (if different from you
normal one), the address of your web page (if you
have one) and your NAME. Thats all.
- Many people have expressed a preference
for a club without beurocracy or were something is
expected of members. To answer demand for such a club,
the Shadow Owners Club exists. You can easily be a
member of any other club and still be a member of SHOC.
If you would like other Shadow Owners to get in touch
with you, or to get in touch with Shadow Owners in
your area, please let me know, and your name will be on
this page. The aim is to make this club as international
as possible. The areas above labeled "soon"
means someone has expressed an interest in becoming a rep
in that area, we just have to wait for confirmation. Some
people will want to establish special eMail accounts to
handle the SOC mail. So things take time.
SHOC REP INFO
- SHOC Reps have been getting all
sorts of questions that really should be directed to
pages and forums set up for specially for that. Most SOC
Reps will be busy handling local mail and having to
answer the same questions again and again can be tiring
and time consuming. Hence I include here the places to
direct general inquiries...
- The best place to get information about
Shadows is at one of these places, which have been set up
specially to handle all types of questions in one place,
with lots of Shadow owners answering, so you get the
opinions of more than one person:
- SRC MAILING LIST (Shadow Rider's
Club Mailing List) You send in your question and they
reply to you individually, or you can subscribe to the
mailing list, and get mail about all the various
activities and reactions directly by eMail. http://web2.airmail.net/jrussell/Shad_FAQ2.htm
- SHADOW FORUM. This is an amazing
place where you can read up on all sorts of Shadow
related activities and put in your own questions. Also
features a Shadow Forum CHAT! Where you can chat with
other Shadow owners. http://www.customforum.com/hondashadow/
- SHADOW OWNERS. This is a bit of a
last resort... You could get in touch with people who
have their bikes on display on the Shadow Home Page. Some
may not be as pleased about this as others, but most will
point you in the right direction. If not just to the
Just paste the above text to any eMail that
asks for general information that can best be handled by these
Some have been asking... and this is for them...
- 12.Feb.2001: THE SHADOW
OWNER'S CLUB PROJECT IS BACK!
... and there you were, thinking we didn't care
about you! Where's your sense of justice! No, no... We're
BACK and we're on a roll again... This time we have LOADS
of previous experience... and even an exisitng SHOC club
in Sweden!!! YEEEHAW! - I must say... They deserve a LOT
of credit, for keeping a good thing going... never losing
sight of the dream... and then, MAKING IT HAPPEN!
- 24.Jan 98: Ok ... You may think I'm insane... but:
Have you seen the logo on the new Shadows? Its made in an
"old style" font, you know like Buicks and
Fords in the old days... Has anyone scanned one yet? Or
have a picture of the letters, or the name of that kind
of font? I'd very much like to use THAT font on the
letters outside, on the patch. As if thats not enough...
I have been sat in front of a Honda Riders Club of
America patch for days before it struck me... It has some
pretty good wings (the Honda Sign itself)... Here we go...
Its always good to offer/have alternatives!
- 08.Dec.97: Warnings of legal difficulties that
others have had with Honda concerning Honda Logos and
likenesses have started coming in. Apparently Honda can
sue if anything is used that they have a copyright on.
"Shadow" can be used technically because it
could, and must refer to anything BUT the motorcycle,
even on the Owners Club Patch. I'd ask for their approval
and support of this Club, but I can't get anyone to
answer at Honda ANYWHERE! I have also been told that this
is perhaps a good thing, as the answers others have got
have been beurocratic and very legal sounding. So, folks,
apparently, its ok to establish a club for people that
have "shadows", so long as these shadows are
not motorcycles that Honda has made. (Are you laughing
yet? What else can one do?)... Still, this means the
Shadow Logo in the patch above will have to go... Sorry!
Only patches that do NOT have the fancy tank "Shadow"
logo are "allowed". There may yet be another
patch in the works.... lets see...
- 22.July.97: Comments received about the chosen patch.
People got in touch with me asking if I didn't feel #1
above was stating SHADOW twice... So I am offering people
to vote... If you prefer the patch without the SHADOW
Logo, please vote for the one you like best. Together we
- 16.July.97: Wording problem solved by artist. The
guy helping me with the patch, who will eventually have
it made, solved the wording problem, and above you can
see the ALMOST final version of the Shadow Owners
Club Patch... The empty areas on both sides of the sign
have been a source of discussion, and quite possibly
there will be a solution to this soon.
- 14.July.97: THANK YOU for your kind and
constructive comments... and I agree... The bottom line
is going! It has been suggested that an OVAL is the way
to go with this shape of sign... so, thats the way we
- The whole symbol will be in an OVAL shape (horizontally
- Outside that OVAL circle will be the letters:
SHADOW (top) and "OWNERS CLUB" in one
line (along the bottom).
- Then there will be another OVAL on the outside,
closing the patch off.
- The patch is designed to be on the upper arm of a
jacket... but people can put it where they like.
- Different places is the world will / may add
something to the symbol, but the central sign
must be similar to the original. I mean, one
group would like a picture of an ACE, not a VT1100
... and thats totally acceptable, so long as its
facing front, in the same way as the original
patch. Please. Lets maintain a universally
recognisable common symbol.
- I am still very much in favour of anyone taking
the symbol and making patches wherever they are
in the world, but please let me know how many
were made, and how much it cost (a sample would
also be welcome, if you can afford it). I will
then let others know, and if it is economical, we
will ask that patchmaker to make more at similar
- You will notice, the SHADOW logo is twisted, this
- It fits better, making the top 'round, to
fit the OVAL.
- I cound not find an eMail address of
ANYONE at Honda to ask permission to use
the Logo, and although local Honda
dealers claimed there will not be a
problem, they refused to give permission
in writing, so we don't get the original
logo, because of the trademark. Still...
Doesn't it look ok to you? (better even?
Ok, I won't push it!)
- 12.July.97: Well... as you can see above, the SOC
Design is done. Its not QUITE the final version, but
it is the general idea. The "OWNERS CLUB" text
may end up above the wings... but I'm glad its finally
done.. PHEW! It has taken many nights to find the right
program to do this stuff... It may look simple... but you
don't see the installing Freehand 7, deinstalling it,
installing Freehand 5.5, deinstalling it (it didn't do
what I thought it would... Then Photoshop, then Digital
Darkroom (all of which came with my scanners)... phew,
its been a mess... But now... I have to sit back and hear
what you lot think about it... Be honest... Please...
Could you wear this with pride on your upper arm... or
wherever? Its YOUR club, you tell me... :-) I love you
- Shadow Tank Motif Suggestion: "We already
have a cool motif on the tank, so why not use it." (This
suggestion was eMailed in, and used.)
- Oval Wings Suggestion: Oval design, which has the
Honda Wings... possible skull instead of Honda sign... (hehe...
this idea was semi abandoned, but shape re-surfaced).
- Circle or Shield Discussion... with bike coming
forward as the picture... If nothing else turns up, we
could use the forward pic of one of the Shadows on the
Shadow Home Page (embossed and outlined). (This idea was
more or less abandoned)
Dear Shadow Owners... when I could not find World Wide
Web Pages dedicated to my favorite motorcycle (and yours), I
decided to sit down and make the pages I wished I would have
found. Alone without a scanner *sniff* I would have got no-where...
until I found some pictures of Shadows on the Honda of
Milpitas web pages... I applied to use them, and was received
very well, and was told that all their pictures were at my
disposal... :-) Many thanks to them...
Then I sought to find organisations for Shadow owners... and
found first the Shadow Riders Club-USA with it's
Communications Director, Jim "Kickstand" Russell, then
the Shadow Club-USA, with its President Chuck Cottrell...
and found both clubs had / have the same aim, to unite Shadow
riders (and riders of other brands) in the USA.
Then came support for all sides, with individual Shadow Owners
sending in pictures of their prized possessions... and themselves...
and before we knew it, the pages grew into the Honda Shadow
Home Page, complete with Shadow Owner's Pages... Now
comes the next step in the logical progression. A Shadow Owner's
Club, which will start as humbly as the net pages... with an
easily identifiable badge / patch.
This badge will help to identify the wearer as being or having
been a proud Shadow Owner, and he will be approached by
others all over the world, who recognise, or wear the same badge
/ patch, as, whatever their club afiliations, they will know what
each other felt when riding their Shadows, and this will be their
Shadow Owner's Club (SHOC)
(Some of the information below is out dated. This is
included as a refernece to what concepts were originally
It will not have true "colors"... only a patch... and
it has been suggested that, although the words will be "(top)
Shadow Owners - (bottom) Club" it may have (possibly) a
choice of patche motifs (picture in the middle) too...
Suggestions so far:
- Basic patches will have a picture of the VLX, ACE
750, VT1100, ACE, Spirit and Tourer... and you wear the
patch of your bike. The name of the bike will not appear
(unless people want it to be there! Majority rules).
- Basic "Shadow Owner's Club" (or simply "SHADOW
OWNERS - CLUB") without picture. Patch could have a
shape... like a shield, or other official shape.
- Depending on permission, the Shadow tank logo could be
used as the motif (picture). This has got good response,
but is subject to permission from Honda. *ahem* I am told
this will not be THAT much of a problem (source "Honda
- Suggestions for other motifs (pictures), like a skull,
for those into that and a Japanese Noh Mask for those who
want that... etc. I was also sent a pretty cool idea for
a patch recently of a black monster (shadow) with white
glaring eyes... Thats for those who like that... Anyone
can have what they want, so long as the basic lettering
is there... In fact, it might give people a reason to
collect them! So the more the merrier!
- (I know there is no skull in the final version (and
I did want one)... but "we are not pirates",
as someone pointed out... (much to my displeasure)...
but I can see his point, and am willing to
abandon my pet idea for the sake of union.
- (02.03.97) It has been suggested that: Instead of ACE, VT,
VLX, etc. that the motif be the picture of a Shadow head
on, and thus the actual model will not matter. I'd like
your feedback on this. Are there other logos out there
like that? Everything needs to be discussed.
BASIC BADGE/PATCH CONCEPT
A circle/shape, with only: (top) SHADOW OWNERS - (bottom) CLUB. (I
realise it may need an apostrophe in the "Owner's"...
for linguists, but these are cosmetics, and it looks better
The letters should be shadow only... this is achieved by
selecting white as the letter color, and typing it on a white
background. That way, you only get the shadow of each letter...
- Times font is nice, although
- Helvetica is more clear from afar, and
- Old English adds some mystery... but is harder to read
from any distance.
(I look forward to suggestions, and examples, if you would
like to try your hand at designing a patch.)
REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL PART 3
There are many who feel the need for an independent club that
does not have any other direction than uniting Shadow Owners...
The point being... Sometimes they are the only people on a Shadow
in their area (England for example, where Shadows are a rather
rare and expensive import/luxory) and understandably owners there
want to have a patch that identifies them... as do Holland,
Belgium, Germany, Iceland, Canada, Australia, USA, Hawaii, Puerto
Rico, South America, Africa, Indonesia, Japan, Portugal, Italy,
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Swiss, England, France, Greece, Cyprus,
Israel, etc. to name but a few of the many people who have
I want, most of all, to get your views on this, as its in its
discussion phase at the moment...
Motions put forward:
- A badge is all the membership that is required. To
get a badge (or badges) a person must register (name and
address will do), and registration will cost the price of
the badge plus postage and packing only. If a newsletter
is ever made, a sponsor will be found, and the addresses
given will be used to send the letter to.
- To get the best distribution, anyone can become a
distributor of badges... AND if they can get a badge
made more economically than existing ones, they are
welcome to make and sell them as they like (it would be
nice to hear from them, though, so everyone benefits from
the economical badge making deal, it would help the rest
of us get inexpensive badges made too, lowering cost all
What the Badge/Patch Represents
The person wearing it must at some stage in their lifetime
have owned (and ridden) a Shadow.
People can and will add their opinions as they like, and put
forward additions and changes and/or advice as to how THEY would
go about doing things. All opinions/advice will be considered,
and possibly put to the vote by those who are registered...
Hopefully the internet will help there.
The thing I like best about this, is it's simplicity...
A badge/patch is all that is needed... and its easily sent
through the mail, and duplicated by anyone interested in
promoting unity among Shadow Owners. It will not pit brother
against brother, as we are all owners of Shadows! The concept is
simple enough... and much enthusiasm is already there... and has
been from the beginning... sorry for the delay.
No... don't laugh... I'd even like to propose an optional
bortherhood handshake, which is a progression of the normal
handshake upwards, to a catching of the thumb... slap catching of
each other's thumb, you know, like the "black power"
handshake... but rather than be a racist statement, it will be a
sign of brotherhood/unity... *ahem* I've been known to go too far,
sometimes... but, as I said, its just an optional/additional sign
to unite us even further... Hehe... most people will probably
forget/ignore this... but if you remember it, its a nice way to
greet a brother or sister in company... and a sign of friendship,
and an international expression unity. (Picture of the handshake
will be put here when one is available. Its a bit like that thumb
grabbed arm wrestling lock.)
Just kidding... I know when to say when! (However, I'm open to
discussions on the subject, if there is a genuine interest in
this product). It has been suggested that the SHOC vibrator might
actually be an old Harley.
Back to Shadow Homepage
Send feedback to: email@example.com